2 chicken breasts (medium size, skin off)
2 slices of bread
2 tablespoons of tomato sauce (see recipe)
1 or 2 cloves of garlic
Half a cup of dry of white wine
¼ teaspoon of chili pepper flakes (depending on taste)
One third of a cup of olive oil
½ cup of Mozzarella cheese
¼ cup of Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF – 175ºC.
- Add olive oil to hot frying pan, season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Once oil is hot, sear the chicken fillets until brown on each side. approx 2 minutes each side.
- Remove from heat and rest five minutes in a plate.
- Deglaze hot pan with dry white wine and make sure you dissolve all the brown bits, that’s flavour!
- Reduce and pour over chickens, make sure you coat them evenly.
- To a ceramic dish or tray, add some olive oil.
- Add the garlic, crushed.
- Add the chili pepper flakes. (to your taste).
- Add the fresh oregano or dried. (see how to dry oregano)
- Mix them well with a brush and add your seared chicken fillets (add any juices that drained from chickens).
- Cut your bread slices into fingers (3 or 4 per chicken fillet).
- To a frying pan, add olive oil, bring to a medium heat and fry bread fingers until crispy (both sides).
- Add a tablespoon of tomato sauce to each chicken fillet. (more if you prefer)
- Grate mozzarella and add half the amount to the chicken.
- Grate and add half the amount of Parmesan cheese.
- Add the crispy croûtons.
- Top with the remainder of Mozzarella (make sure you cover the croûton ends well).
- Top with the remainder of Parmesan cheese.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes 350ºF – 175ºC (this can vary on the size of your chicken fillets).
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Bake more than two fillets at once in the same tray if cooking for more people, but do not overlap them.
Add additional tomato sauce if you prefer more sauce.